- Smart phones used to scan QR codes are often expensive in comparison with simpler phones.
- Relatively new barcode type, people are not much familiar with its use. Requires training in order to fully understand the concept.
- Not very aesthetic, it contains random patterns of square boxes which might not look pleasing on products unlike 1-d barcodes.
- Widely used in automotive companies in Japan.
- Business cards often contain QR codes inscribed on them which may contain related information to the websites or the links to the resume of a person.
- QR code enabled scavenger hunt was introduced by Starbucks for promotion purposes which contained information regarding the hints encoded in the QR code.
- Darling National Wildlife Refuge in Florida (USA) uses QR codes in trails which contain links to the detailed information regarding the animals.